The Madison Seminary buildings would serve students from 1847 to July 1891.
By Nov 10, 1891, the name of the facility officially became the Madison Home, purchased and owned by the Ohio Women’s Relief Corps, a women’s group of the Grand Army of the Republic, GAR for short. This home was to render needful assistance to Army nurses and soldiers’ mothers, wives and sisters for whom no provision has yet been made to care for the people uprooted from the spoils of America’s Civil War. The Madison site provided the best of five possible sites that were offered.
The Women’s Relief Corps (WRC) constructed the western most section of the township center on the site of the original wooden structure of the school in 1891. The name on the doorway arch is Ohio Cottage.
In 1904, WRC donated the building to the State of Ohio when the organization could no longer afford to maintain it. The Report to the Governor of the State of Ohio called the complex Home of the Ohio Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Their Wives, Mothers, Widows and Army Nurses.
The WRC Madison Home portion of the facility officially ceased operation June 30, 1962 when it was taken over by the Ohio Department of Mental Hygiene and Corrections. Widows living in the Home either would be returned to their relatives or would be placed in private nursing homes under Aid to the Aged. Several of the residents were much saddened at the verdict, since they had no living relatives to look after their requirements.
In the 1960′s, the institution was called Opportunity Village. A one-story addition connecting the other buildings was constructed, although another may have been built in 1989. Opportunity Village housed some selected honor inmates from Ohio Women’s Reformatory in Marysville. These inmates worked as staff at the facility, learning skills as nurse’s aids and other occupations.
It also became an extension of Apple Creek State Hospital and housed retarded women, most of whom could care for themselves. A joint project with the Ohio Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation, it was hoped that the slow learners and prisoners could be rehabilitated to live productive lives in society.
Also for a few months in 1964 it served as an extension of Cleveland State Hospital for aged, senile women.
Opportunity Village was closed in 1975 and the Lake County Commissioners purchased the building from the State of Ohio.
In the late 1970′s Madison Township leased the facilities from the county to house its offices.
In 1981 Madison Township purchased the building from the county, with the understanding that the county would buy it back when Madison Township no longer had use for the facility. Later Madison Township became involved in designing a new Administration Complex to be located on Hubbard Road. Since the Lake County Commissioners had agreed to buy back the old facility, they did so, but had not decided it’s fate.
The facility is on the National Historic Register and the county said it would do anything it could to save it.
In the 1980′s, Lake County Administrator, Kenneth R Gautner admitted that demolition might be necessary since the facility, now two + buildings, does not meet required fire, electrical and plumbing codes.
Aside from not meeting codes, some township employees, who have worked in the history-rich facility, indicate that there may be a few ghosts.
A newspaper advertisement appeared in the 1993 newspapers — For Rent: Historic building on Middle Ridge Road . . . can be leased cheap, caution — building may be haunted.
In 1998 the county commissioners agreed, according to the Plain Dealer, to sell the property to Mr. John Cassell for $28,500. Mr. Cassell passed away in 2009 and his grandson now cares for the property.
We do investigations every Friday and Saturday night. They run from 9pm till 4am. The cost is $40 per person, with a minimum of 5. We provide every group with pizza. If you would like to book an investigation please let us know what time of the year you would like to investigate and we will give you the available dates around that time.